Friday, May 06, 2011

The Royal Lesbian Wedding

It happened. Are any of you talking about anything else? Have you talked about anything else since Callie said "yes"? If you think about it, Calzona's wedding is for lesbians the same as what the Royal Wedding was for the British. It was our very own Royal Wedding, not smoothly as the other Royal Wedding was, but it was. We've talked about it for so long and we all sat in front of the TV to watch it.
The parents were there. They were uncool. Well just two of them. Arizona's father referred to himself as The Colonel, made it clear that he doesn't like Mark and didn't want her to have a minute of silence for her brother who died. But in the end it all worked out because, he walked her down the aisle. And she had her minute to miss her brother comforted by who? Ha, Mark. Yes, they seem to be getting along just fine. Which I think is good, because I like Mark, I just don't like it when he's sleeping with Callie. So let's keep Arizona and Callie together and Mark as Sofia's father and that's it. It was a beautiful scene. I cried.


On Callie's side it was a little bit more intense, at some point she actually canceled the wedding. Thank God I knew it would end good because I don't think my heart could handle it. But let's get back on track. Callie's dad was all good and loving the wedding and the granddaughter and even Sofia's dad, Mark. Callie's mother on the other hand was not liking any of it at all. She wouldn't even hold the baby. The part when they have the conversation at Callie's apartment was the one that caught my attention the most. Her mom says 

"Don't you dare imply that there's anything about a wedding to a 
woman or a baby out-of-wedlock that's for me." 

Ok, some of us know how that feels. Well I do. Not that my mom said that, but it was pretty close. But you know what? I liked Callie's response. 

"Ok, so what bothers you more? My bastard child or my lesbian fiancee? 
You're a lawyer mom. You're out in the world. You know other gay people. 
You're secretary's gay. I'm your daughter." 

Yes, she is your daughter and you are being a big hypocrite if your secretary's gay, but you can't accept your own daughter being gay. We know that happens a lot, but I would like to focus on the secretary. Is she hot? Big picture? Ok. So Mrs. Torres and her God isn't going to accept Callie and this wedding and storms out. Then we learn that the minister can't make it to the wedding so Callie decides to call it off, but it's fine because then, along comes Bailey. And she reminds us what we all should know since day one and remember always. 

"First of all, you do not need the law or a priest or your mother to make your wedding real, and the church can be anywhere  you want it to be. In a field, on a mountain, right here in this room. Anywhere, because where do you think God is? He's in you. He's in me. Just right here, in the middle of us. Your churches hasn't caught up to God yet. Your mother, she, hasn't caught up to God yet and, by the way, she may never catch up, but it's OK. It's OK. If you are willing to stand up in front of your friends, and family and God and commit yourself to another human being, to give of yourself and that kind of partnership, for better or worse, in sickness and in health, honey that is a marriage, that is real. And that's all that matters."



I love Bailey. Specially when she ends her speech with:

"Besides, I got legally married, to a man, in a church. Look how well that turned out."

Then what's next? Obviously after that speech Bailey is officiating the wedding. I liked how they made a connection to Meredith and Derek's legal wedding. Oh yeah, they decided to get legally married since they want to adopt an african child. The scene just stated that for MerDer it was"hey, we we're married on a post it and we are only making it legal for the child", while for Calzona it was "hey we are getting married because we are committed to each other and we want to celebrate our love, so we don't need your law to be happy when you aprove post it weddings like you were filing job applications at Burger King, ha!" 


Aside from it being all cute and happy, I think it was too fast. Maybe the expectation got my hopes up to high and I waited for a whole episode of Calzona white, party, love, kissing, vows...and forgot all about the rest of the show. But it's fine, they got married, it was beautiful and no one ran off, or canceled the wedding, or died.


1 comment: